Thursday, April 4, 2013

Finding ways to stay in motion

Everyone understands that exercise is critical for health (I hope). Based on some feedback I got in my last post, it seems that not everyone is able (for a bunch of reasons) to exercise. Not everyone has the means to join a gym and not everyone can have a home gym like this either Body-Solid Sportsman Gym - BFMG20 (Google Affiliate Ad).

The key thing is to find ways to stay in motion. It is AMAZING how many calories you burn just performing simple tasks. If you are like me and a little anal (and need to measure everything), you might use a calorie burning app or use a web site that allows you to compute calories burned.

For example, I spent a couple of hours working on my car last night - and burned over 500 calories in the process! Knowing that took a LOT of the pain out of the skinned up knuckles that I earned for my trouble!

Even those that are in the "couch potato" class can find ways to get moving. Something as simple as just getting up during the TV commercials (better to walk around during the commercial) - will burn a LOT of calories. If you want to measure that activity, think about getting a fitness tracker like the one below:


The punch line of all of this - just add some activity to your everyday. I work at a desk all day. I am now getting up every 20 minutes or so - for nothing more than to walk around my desk. Just that activity is burning about 200 calories a DAY more than I would by just sitting at my desk. Since it takes burning 3500 calories to get a pound of fat - you can see where even little bits of activity add up to a lot in a hurry.


No comments:

Post a Comment