Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Staying on track when traveling

My day job requires me to travel a bit. I have been "on the road" for the past 5 days and won't be sleeping in my own bed for another 5 days. Uggh - 10 days of travel. It is extremely easy to let your program slip when you are traveling. Here are some of the things I do to help keep me on track.

Rule 1: Stay hydrated! Hopefully you are already drinking 1/2 your body weight (in ounces) of water a day (up to 120 ounces). When you are traveling, it is easy to slip on the water intake. Thankfully, there are usually a lot of places where you can purchase bottled water. I tend to buy the 1 liter size so that I am reminded to "get the water in me".

Rule 2: Plan ahead and carry some quick/easy snacks. For me, I always have some almonds handy. They work great as a snack, travel extremely well, and can be grabbed when you need them.

Rule 3: Be smart about the meals you order. When every meal comes from a restaurant, ask about how different things are prepared. Many restaurant's will make available the nutritional information about items on their menu. If you are already eating clean - be VERY wary of extra sodium! I had a nice salmon dish at a TGIF that had 1500 mg of sodium in the meal! 

Rule 4: Carve our time for your exercise plan. You are almost certainly going to have to be flexible and modify your exercise routine - but just do it. 

What are your tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment