Sunday, March 10, 2013

The effect of strength training

For the past two weeks, my gym routine has been:
  1. Day 1: Chest and abs
  2. Day 2: Cardio (swimming for the most part) and abs
  3. Day 3: Back and abs
  4. Day 4: Cardio (swimming for the most part) and abs
  5. Day 5: Legs and abs
  6. Day 6: Shoulders, arms and abs
  7. Day 7: Cardio (typically elliptical or mix of rowing and stairs)
The strength training work has all been "lifting heavy". What I mean by that are sets with only 6-10 reps (depending on excercise) with a weight that is at least 70% of my max 1 rep weight. Generally speaking, I can get my strength routine done in about 40-45 minutes (including warm up and stretching). For swimming, I can get in about 25 minutes before exhaustion. Machine cardio I go 60 minutes.

I also begin every strength training with 5-10 minutes of cardio (to get blood flow up) and end with 5 minutes of stretching. The stretching REALLY helps to minimize soreness. I typically have very light soreness the "morning after" - but nothing uncomfortable. By noon the day after I have no soreness so I think the stretching is helping with recovery. I also will drink a Xypstix (either hot or cold) after each workout.

I almost always have a protein shake as a post workout meal. I generally do two scoops of Lean (88 calories, 30g protein) mixed with skim milk or almond milk. Lean is a powdered protein supplement from Xyngular.

While I have only lost 4 lbs of body weight over that time, the rest of my measurements are as follows:
  • Chest - no change
  • Waist - lost 1"
  • Thigh - no change
  • Arms - gain .5"
I am EXTREMELY pleased with the result. I plan to continue this schedule for the next 2 weeks. I have heard it is very difficult to lose weight and build muscle mass. I think I have found something that is working for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment